jump to navigation

Turning incandescent lamps into heatballs September 8, 2010

Posted by Hans De Keulenaer in efficiency.
Tags: , , , ,
add a comment

Incandescent lamps are terribly inefficient. About 5% electricity gets converted into light with the remaining 95% lost as heat. They are class F appliances at best.

However, their inefficiency as lighting devices makes them 95% efficient to convert electricity into heat, justifying a class A label without any doubt. Enter the heatball.

As a result, the lighting industry is now rapidly converting its production towards this new product. Apart from packaging issues, the main challenge is to make sure that none of the remaining 5% of energy is emitted as light.

Electrical engineers react enthusiastically. After decades of increasing the percentage of non-linear loads on the network, finally we have a product that will reverse the trend. It will do wonders for the stability of the grid, increasing the lifetime of equipment, improve reliability as well as prepare for large-scale integration of renewables.

Also architects and builders of low-energy homes are pleased. Their challenge is to provide ever lower residual demand for space heating with a cost-effective system. In passive houses, heatballs will act as a central heating system, providing small heat pulses where required using the electricity system which is already there.

Please join us today in promoting heatballs everywhere. I can see nothing but benefits, and hence sincerely hope that the heatball product is not a joke …